Castle View • The youthful boys basketball team is off to a strong start, with an 11-3 overall record and coach Patrick Simpson sends out four juniors and a sophomore in the starting lineup. • …
• The youthful boys basketball team is off to a strong start, with an 11-3 overall record and coach Patrick Simpson sends out four juniors and a sophomore in the starting lineup.
• 120-pounder Malik Heinselman was named the outstanding wrestler in the lower weights after winning the Arvada West Invitational on Jan. 13.
• In the Jan. 11 On The Mat rankings, Heinselman was rated first among the state’s 120-pound Class 5A wrestlers. The Sabercats’ Tate Samuelson was listed first at 182 pounds.
• Graduate Jamin Smith, a senior offensive lineman for New Mexico State, made a sealing block on the Aggies’ winning touchdown run in overtime in a 26-20 win over Utah State on Dec. 29 in the Arizona Bowl as New Mexico State won its first bowl game in 57 years.
• The girls basketball team saw its two-game winning streak snapped when the Huskies made 19 percent of their field goal attempts and surrendered 64 points in the first half in a 94-15 Continental League loss to Highlands Ranch.
• Kent Grams’ boys basketball team got off to a 13-0 start, the best in school history, and the Jaguars are averaging 67.4 points a game, which is on pace to break the school’s record of 61.9 ppg.
• Jessica Beckwith has recorded the second fastest time of 56.41 in the 100 butterfly, according to the Jan. 11 prepswimco.com rankings. The Jaguars are eighth in the team rankings.
• Girls basketball standout Kindyll Wetta, who injured her knee in the third quarter of the Jan. 10 game against Golden, was scheduled to have an MRI to determine the extent of the injury. The 5-foot-9 freshman leads the Eagles with a 13.4 scoring average and is also averaging 6.1 rebounds and five assists a game. She had 21 points in the 55-53 win over Golden before leaving the game.
• The hockey team, coached by George Gwozdecki, whipped Mullen 10-0 on Jan. 13 and the Eagles had 50 shots on goal compared to one for the Mustangs. Sophomore right wing Colton Carson scored four goals and had an assist to finish with five points while junior goalie Jack Kuzla was credited with the one save and collected the victory.
• Senior Ella Kirschke’s 200 IM time of 2:06.96 is the fastest among 4A swimmers in the prepswimco.com rankings. She is second in the 100 freestyle with a time of 51.28 and Valor’s 200 freestyle relay team has turned in the best time of 1:36.85. The Eagles are ranked fourth among 4A teams.