Castle View • The wrestling team will send three regional champions to the Class 5A state wrestling tournament, which is set for Feb. 15-17 at the Pepsi Center in Denver. Adrian Marquez will take a …
• The wrestling team will send three regional champions to the Class 5A state wrestling tournament, which is set for Feb. 15-17 at the Pepsi Center in Denver. Adrian Marquez will take a 34-6 record into the 113-pound bracket. Defending state champion Malik Heinselman has moved up to 120 pounds this season and has a 42-2 record. Regional champion Bailey Fitzgerald is 29-9 at 138 pounds.
• The girls basketball team defeated Castle Rock rival Douglas County, 40-26, before a sellout crowd Feb. 9 at Castle View, and coach Matt Hema’s team tied a school record for most wins in a season. The Sabercats are 18-4 overall and concluded the regular season with a game at Rock Canyon on Feb. 14. Hema’s 2013-14 team finished with an 18-8 record.
• It’s been a different story for the boys basketball team, which started the season with an 11-2 record. However, the Sabercats went 1-8 in the past nine games before ending the regular season with a Feb. 14 game against second-ranked Rock Canyon.
• Senior diver Sam Taborski, who has signed with the University of Iowa to continue her diving, finished second in the diving event at the Class 5A state swimming championships on Feb. 10.
• The boys basketball team defeated crosstown rival Castle View, 63-56, before a capacity crowd at the Castle View gym on Feb. 9. It was the 14th win of the season for the Huskies, which is the most victories in the past nine seasons. The 2007-08 team compiled a 16-9 record.
• Freshman Max Black won the 106-pound title Feb. 10 at the Class 5A Region 4 state qualifying tournament. Douglas County finished in fifth place. Black will take a 37-2 record into the 5A state tournament which will be held Feb. 15-17 at the Pepsi Center in Denver.
Boys basketball coach Kent Grams is a 2002 graduate of ThunderRidge and he played basketball for Grizzlies coach Joe Ortiz. On Feb. 16, Grams will be coaching against Ortiz when the Jaguars, ranked second in the CHSAANow.com Class 5A poll, face top-ranked ThunderRidge in the final game of the Continental League season at ThunderRidge. The Grizzlies are unbeaten in the league and Rock Canyon has one loss. Rock Canyon has a 3-9 overall record against ThunderRidge but has notched narrow wins in the past two games. Rock Canyon won 49-48 last year and 44-43 in the 2016 game.
• The hockey team has wrapped up the Highlands Conference title and will be idle until the start of the playoffs. The Eagles, 16-0-0 in the conference and 17-2-0 overall, are guarantee of drawing a first round bye in the playoffs and won’t play until the second round on Feb. 23.
• The boys and girls basketball teams end the regular season on Feb. 15 with Jeffco 4A games against Standley Lake. The boys, which entered the week tied for first place with Golden, play at Standley Lake. The Eagles beat Standley Lake, 79-60, earlier in the season. It will be senior night when the girls host Standley Lake, a team which it defeated 59-41 in an earlier game.