Castle View • Athletic Director Derek Cordes looked toward Colorado's Western Slope to find a football coach and announced Feb. 14 that Todd Casebier would be the person for the job. Casebier, with …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2018-2019, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites
• Athletic Director Derek Cordes looked toward Colorado's Western Slope to find a football coach and announced Feb. 14 that Todd Casebier would be the person for the job. Casebier, with a reputation for rejuvenating struggling programs, has a 175-60 record in 20 seasons with 18 playoff appearances and 11 league titles in his stints as head coach at Palisade, Montrose and Fruita Monument. He coached Palisade to the 3A state title in 2003. “I really believe Castle View has some of the qualities in place to be vastly improved next year,” he said. Castle View has not had a winning record over the past six seasons and has gone 18-42 in those half dozen campaigns.
• The girls basketball team was the No. 10 seed and drew a first-round bye in the Class 5A state playoffs. The team will play the Loveland-Overland winner on Feb. 23. The boys team was seeded 33rd and faced Columbine in a first-round game.
• The first-year hockey team was seeded 13th in the state hockey playoff pairings and played Rampart in a first-round contest.
• Senior Sam Tamborski has been named the Class 5A Diver of the Year. She placed second behind Arapahoe's Franny Cable at the 5A Swimming Championships held Feb. 9-10 in Fort Collins. Tamborski has signed to dive next season at the University of Iowa. She will be competing at the Junior World Trials, which will be held in April at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.
• Tim Byers, coach of the Douglas County/Castle View girls swimming team, was tabbed as the 5A swimming Coach of the Year. Coaches voted of these awards at the state meet and CHSAANow.com honored these individuals on their all-state teams.
• Coach Earl Boykins' boys basketball team was seeded 24th in the Class 5A state playoff bracket and hosted No. 41 Rocky Mountain in a first-round contest.
• Boys basketball coach Kent Grams earned his 100th win on Feb. 14 when the Jaguars defeated Castle View, 77-44. In six seasons as head coach Grams has compiled a 100-48 record.
• Seedings were released for the boys and girls state basketball playoffs. The boys basketball team was the top-seed in the 5A bracket and earned a first-round bye. The team will meet the winner of the Columbine-Castle View game on Feb. 24.
• In a vote of coaches published by the CHSAANow.com, two-time defending champion Izzy Mroz was the Class 4A Diver of the Year. The Eagles' Lori Stenstrom was Coach of the Year and Alton Urban was the 4A Diving Coach of the Year.
• Rod Sherman, who helped build Valor Christian into a state football powerhouse, is the new head football coach at Arapahoe. Sherman was the school's athletic director from 2007-12 and was also an assistant football coach and offensive coordinator when Valor won five state championships. He became head coach in 2013 and won three state championships. It was announced in December that Sherman was no longer the coach at Valor. He replaces Mike Campbell at Arapahoe, who is now the head coach at Englewood.
• Both the boys and girls basketball teams were awarded first-round byes in the Class 4A state playoff pairings. The boys, seeded ninth, will play the winner of the Vista Peak Prep-Standley Lake game on Feb. 24. The girls are the fifth seed and will take on the Standley Lake-Skyview winner in a Feb. 23 second-round contest.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.