About Letters to the Editor
Colorado Community Media strives to be a clear and transparent voice for our readers and a trusted community resource where they consistently turn first for news and events that impact them most. And an important part of that is maintaining an open dialogue with our readers. CCM welcomes—and encourages—letters to the editor.
We invite you to submit those letters using this convenient online form.
For letters to the editor to be considered, please abide by the following rules:
- Please do not mail letters to the newsroom by U.S. Postal Service.
- Submit your letter by 5 p.m. on Wednesday to have it considered for publication in the following week’s newspaper.
- Letters must be no longer than 400 words.
- Letters should be exclusively submitted to Colorado Community Media and should not be submitted to other outlets or previously posted on websites or social media. Submitted letters become the property of CCM and should not be republished elsewhere.
- Letters advocating for a political candidate should focus on that candidate’s qualifications for office. We cannot publish letters that contain unverified negative information about a candidate’s opponent. Letters advocating for or against a political candidate or ballot issue will not be published later than 12 days before an election.
- Publication of any given letter is at our discretion. Letters are published as space is available.
- We will edit letters for clarity, grammar, punctuation and length and write headlines (titles) for letters at our discretion.
- Please don’t send us more than one letter per month. Priority for publication will be given to writers who have not submitted letters to us recently.
- Submit your letter in a Word document or in the body of an email. No PDFs or Google Docs, please.
- Include your full name, address and phone number. We will publish only your name and city or town of residence, but all of the information requested is needed for us to verify you are who you say you are.
- Letters will be considered only from people living in Colorado Community Media’s circulation area in Adams, Arapahoe, Clear Creek, Denver, Douglas, Elbert, Jefferson and Weld counties.
- Do not use all caps, italics or bold text.
- Keep it polite: No name-calling or “mudslinging.”
- Include a source — and a link to that source — for any information that is not common knowledge. We will not publish information, including quotes, that cannot easily be verified.
Generally, we will not publish multiple letters that make the same point in a given week. Only submit ideas and opinions that are your own — and in your own words. We will not publish any letter that appears to be part of a letter-writing campaign or that copies text from an outside source, such as a website.
We do not publish letters promoting a business, product or commercial service.
- We do not publish speculation about other people’s motives or thoughts. When writing about a person, please restrict your comments to their actions or statements.